US Pro Cycling Challenge
Join us in Estes Park for the excitement of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge! This annual multi-day road cycling stage race reaches summits of over 12,000 feet and 42,000 feet of vertical climbing & technical descents. The race will take place August 19-25.
On August 24th (the final day of significant competition), the route will climb up Highway 34, pass through Drake and the Glen Haven switchbacks (for the stage’s king of the mountain competition) and past The Stanley Hotel on its way through West Elkhorn road and up to Mary’s Lake. From there, the race will fly down Highway 7 (South St. Vrain), cross the intersection of Highway 34 and 36, then turn east toward Ft. Collins on Highway 34. The race is estimated to pass through Estes Park between 1 and 3 PM.
Rooms are still available for this weekend! Book Now>>
Viewing, Parking and Shuttles
- Town of Estes Park free shuttles will operate altered routes and times. Visit www.estes.org/shuttles for more information
- Rocky Mountain National Park’s hiker shuttle will not operate August 24.
- Unless otherwise indicated, parking is allowed on public roads outside the white line or off the pavement.
- Parking on private property without permission is trespassing; owners may contact law enforcement.
- Recommended parking:
- Fairgrounds Park-n-Ride, 1209 Manford Avenue
- Along Highway 7, between Carriage Drive and
- North Saint Vrain Avenue/U.S. 36
- Estes Park Marina, 1770 Big Thompson Avenue
- Graves Avenue
- “Lot 4” behind Safeway via Steamer Drive
- Bicycle parking will be available in the parking lot at Riverside Drive and Elkhorn Avenue.
- In town limits, camping of any kind is allowed in designated campgrounds only.
Race Day Events, August 24:
9 a.m. Big Wheel Races
9 a.m. Pancake Breakfast
9:30 a.m. Elkhorn Dash
10 a.m. Kids’ Fun Ride
10 a.m. Cycling Festival
There will be some related road closures and we recommend that you adjust accordingly. The scheduled closures include:
- U.S. 34 from County Road 29 (base of canyon) to Mall Road in Estes Park will be closed to through traffic approximately 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. U.S. 34 must remain closed between the entry and exit of the cyclists due to the anticipated speed of the race. Parking is allowed in designated parking areas, off the pavement, in the canyon.
- County Road 43 from Drake to Glen Haven to MacGregor Avenue in Estes Park. Starting at 8 a.m. there will be limited access on County Road 43, and a full closure to non-resident vehicles may be enacted if necessary. Bikes and pedestrians will be allowed.
- Wonderview Avenue from MacGregor Avenue to U.S. 34/36 intersection; Elkhorn Avenue to Moraine Avenue; Moraine Avenue to Marys Lake Road; Highway 7 to North Saint Vrain Avenue/U.S. 36, U.S. 34/36 downtown to Big Thompson Avenue/U.S. 34 east through the Big Thompson Canyon.
- To accommodate special events and the race, Elkhorn Avenue from U.S. 34/36 to Moraine Avenue and Moraine Avenue from Elkhorn Avenue to Crags Drive will be closed from approximately 9 a.m. until pedestrians have cleared mid- to late-afternoon.
- The entire race route from MacGregor Avenue at Evergreen Lane through the rest of the route all the way to U.S. 34 at Mall Road will be closed at approximately 12:30 p.m. to clear streets for the race. It will reopen sequentially as the race passes, with the exception of downtown, as noted above.
- Detours: Watch for detour signs. Within town, Fish Creek Road, Riverside Drive and Moccasin Circle Drive will be alternatives to closed streets.
- U.S. 36 to Lyons is recommended when leaving Estes Park; if exiting Rocky Mountain National Park, follow detours signs to U.S. 36.